Thursday 4 February 2016

College vs. University




Before I started my post-grad program at Sheridan College I was unsure of how I would like College after spending 4 years getting accustomed to University life. After one semester I can confirm that it is definitely different, but this is a good thing, a really good thing.  One thing about University, maybe not Laurier where I went because it was pretty small, but you can remain fairly anonymous in classes if you like. This is not the case in College; the program I’m in is small which has turned out to be a great thing. You really do get to know your classmates well, and working in groups becomes second nature. Although I had some group projects in University, College definitely has a lot more. In terms of the workload? Expect to have a lot more assignments in college. Maybe this is because I have 6/7 classes a semester versus 5 in University but I find my self a lot busier.  For me though the BEST thing about college is the class format. It’s all about hands on activities and engagement, which is in my experience the absolute opposite of how most University classes are formatted. It’s not uncommon to have a 3-hour lecture in University and College but seriously they felt waaaay longer in University. All of the instructors so far have been really enthusiastic and passionate about what they are talking about, they are also helpful and engaging. I had some great profs in University but they really are not any where close to the ones I’ve had here at Sheridan.  Anyway, I know everyone’s post secondary experiences are different, and some people may not totally agree with my points but this is just my personal experience . J



No comments:

Post a Comment